3 insights for all businesses
Discussions about the importance abound. This is understandable given the importance of the issue for all businesses. Few things impact more on:
- Repeat business
While most often discussed in the context of bricks and mortar retailing, customer experience is important for all businesses online and offline.
I would argue however that a customer experience is not enough. The customer experience should ideally be:
The experience needs to stand out, stick in the customers memory and be defendable as a point of difference in the longer term.
Critical to establishing an optimal customer experience is:
It is important to labour over designing the customer experience, deliver on the promised experience and develop the capability to maintain delivery.
Essential to developing an optimal customer experience is:
- Understanding the customer with a view to building a tribe
- Identifying the elements or moments of truth in the experience.
- Developing and implementing an integrated strategy.
Understanding who the customer is and what they respond to is critical. Market research is a critical starting point, in terms of building a tribe that engages with and embraces the experience.
There are many elements to the customer experience including those relating to:
- The environment
- The product
- The service
Within these elements are moments of truth during which:
- Customers can be engaged and impressed
- The business can deliver and impress
- The customer will make judgements
With the longer term in mind also critical to a sustainable customer experience are:
- Engaging and empowering employees
- Monitoring and gathering feedback
- Fine tuning the experience as required
Employees are critical to the customer experience and need to understand:
- What it is.
- Why it matters.
- How they can contribute.
Customer feedback is essential and needs to be used in giving feedback to staff anf tine tuning the experience.
The superstars of customer experience include:
- Customer experience is critical for every business
- That experience needs to be distinctive, unforgettable and sustainable
- A highly strategic approach is required to develop and maintain the optimal customer experience
To learn more about this and related issues – www.djohncarlsonnetwork.com
To learn more about the author www.d.johncarlsonesq.com