consider podcasts the new blogging
This is the seventh of 10 ‘BEST OF THOUGHTS’ from the more than 200 THOUGHTS published in 2018.
This ‘thought’ was part of a series examining the trends in marketing in 2018 and beyond.
The Australian Broadcasting Commission invests considerable time and money into promoting podcasts it has spent a great deal of money commissioning and producing. It has established the ABC ‘Listen’ App to make it easy for its considerable listener base to access podcasts.
This is indicative of the massive global boom in podcasting. This boom is such that Seth Godin, one of the world’s most prolific bloggers, has suggested that podcasts are the new blog. Godin notes that more and more podcasts are being used to communicate information to a population that is less and less inclined to read.
Not only are podcasts popular among those who do not want to read, but they are ideal for people who are engaged in other activities such as gardening, ironing, or driving. Podcasts offer most of the advantages of radio with increased flexibility and on-demand access. They are growing in both popularity and potency.
Research has found that 40% of consumers are listening to podcasts in 2018. This compares with:
- 30% using Instagram in 2018
- 30% using podcasts in 2014
This also suggests that podcasts are now more popular than Instagram, the fastest growing social media channel on the planet. Podcast usage is growing rapidly and there is little doubt in my mind that this trend will continue given that podcasts:
- can be used when video is not an option
- are more engaging than written material
- are relatively inexpensive and easy to create
- are more personal when voiced by the author
- can be broken up into episodes
- are highly flexible in terms of incorporating creative ideas
- can be faster to consume than written material
- are highly mobile and increasingly accessible
A good podcast:
- Includes rich content and effects
- Incorporates multiple voices
- Involves interesting presenters
- Presents high quality and topical content
- Applies the KISS principle
Consider podcasts as a replacement for blogging. Certainly, consider podcasts as a medium for communicating large amounts of information in an entertaining and engaging way.
If you are an advertiser, consider advertising on Podcast Plus which offers many of the advantages of radio, plus some.
Podcasts are a growing trend that most businesses can use. Certainly, many more businesses should be considering podcasting. Just about anyone can record one.
SOURCES OF CORE DATA
Smart Insights, The Drum, Social Media Week, CSR matters, Louder Milk, Forbes, Quicksprout, Wider Funnel, Trends and Insights, Core DNA, Digital Current
READ MORE – www.djohncarlsonesq.com
HAVE YOUR SAY – https://www.facebook.com/djohncarlson/
TALK TO ME– email@example.com
FOLLOW ME – @djohncarlson
BRILLIANT READING – www.djohncarlsonesq.com